Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2009

Delhi`s first impressions

After ages at the Airport where every single Person had to undergo a healthcheck beacuase of high Swine Flu Risk( especially coming from Kuala Lumpur AND Australia)and 2 Hours in Delhi, I felt as if I had been there 2 Weeks. Even though it was night and dark there were so many impressions that it was pretty overwhelming. When I first got to my Hotel Room I didnt really know what to do, where to look, where to sit,stand or not to and so on;) Pretty funny when I think back and as I have heard, pretty much the same thing happens to every Backpacking Tourist first visiting India. Not to forget to mention that a higher class Indian Hotel is to compare with , uhm id guess about a zero star Hotel in Switzerland or Australia. Very basic. A bed, a Fan (if your lucky and please, if you hate AC`s like me, an absoulute DON`T to take a room with one as its more than annoying and makes you feel like you would be cramped up in a fridge somewhere in the amazonas in summer)a standig toilet( a hole in the floor with a bucket of water to flush)and two taps..one to brush your teeth(well, not that you would want to brush you teeth with delhis water anyway..thats what I thought the first 4 weeks but then couldnt be bothered with bottled water anymore for teeth brushing and had built up somekind of non understandable immunity)and the other to fill the Bucket which you can use to shower and do your washing.
The first morning I still was kind of confused. Confused where exactly I was and what I was supposed to do with myself as soon as I had stepped out of the Hotel on to Main Bazaar in Pharaganj. The humid heat of the monsoon season, the dust, pollution, the smells( going from wonderful smells of spices, fresh chapatis, curries etc to smells that even almost made me feel sick (yes even me!can you imagine?)smells of urine, pieces of meat that had been lying in the sun for days and was way over the limit of being able to eat, sweat, and and and (sometimes even dead bodies)),the big crowd of people everywhere, the beeping of bikes, cars and Rikshas that almost makes you go deaf, the yelling, pulling and touching of the Indian salesmen that want you to go and "only have a look and not buy anything" of their shop or their brother or cousins shop, etc, hit me like a baseball bat the first day i must admit..now i think back I have to smile at myself and eventhough I really had problems handling that (especially the HUGE crowd of people, pulling and the noise)I do miss it..
Anyway,to go on..As I felt a little "lost"in that big City as a (well now i definately know)country girl, I decided that I wanted to move on from Delhi soon and see more. So I made use of the voucher I was given and booked my own personal taxi with driver for the next 2days to go to Agra to see the Taj Mahal as I could almost not wait anymore after 5 years of dreaming of this day!;) I was warmly welcomed by Mustaq, a kashmiri salesman (which now I know are the WORST on talking you into something..they dont have the reputation of the worldwide best salesmen out of no where!)who offered, or better insisted I have chai with him before we got started with business..I was in the office about 3 hours and was happy to get out and finally have dinner and peace (well as much peace as you can get in delhi i guess)following a shower which really was necessary as the towel almost still was black after showering I had so much dirt on me haha..and dropping into bed dead tired..!
Oh before I forget, talking of first impressions..I really really made sure I dressed appropriately and covered up even in this heat(which by the way I LOVE, I mean the heat)but realised that it still makes it pretty difficult alone as a woman if your unsure as the Indians just feel that, feel that your a tourist and not knowing where you are going and so on..So still I did have some strange experiances in the first days in Delhi..Like one guy following me about half an hour pulling at me, coming up close to tell me how sexy he thought I was and that he wanted to f*** me and other dirty things like this..didnt really feel that comfertable but I noticed quick that it was best just to walk on, ignore him and pull away everytime he touched me.
Uhm yeh I guess that was the most important of my first day in Delhi, I could go on and on but I would have to start a book then and plus, I am only up to my first day of my Trip, so much much more to go;)



2 Kommentare:

Ldff hat gesagt…

uahhhh.... hesch jo voll dreckigi zeche... heheh... ;)

*+*Britt Shailaja*+* hat gesagt…

hehe jo ha miner lebtig no nie so dreckigi füess gha und das innert ere stund!!!!!:P